Samosas are every household's favourite snack item. It's best served hot, with chutney on the side. They're a great teatime buddy that no one can refuse. They're that good!
They have an amazing taste and are made with flour and a spicy potato and pea filling. They're the best tea time snack, and if you prepare them at home, they can be healthier too. Yes, you read that right: samosas can be made at home too. With super easy tips and tricks, as well as step by step instructions, here's a guide for you to make perfect Samosas at home.
Steps To Make Perfect Samosa Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 4 tbsp ghee or oil
- In a bowl, mix everything well.
- Now rub the flour in between your palms to incorporate the oil well for 2 to 3 minutes. The flour will now resemble breadcrumbs.
- Next, press down a handful of flour in your palm and see if it holds the shape. If it does not crumble, it means it is well incorporated.
- Now add 4 tbsp water and knead to form a dough ball by adding as much water as required.
- When the dough is firm, stiff and not sticky, keep it covered for 25 to 30 minutes.
Steps To Make Potato Stuffing
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 4 potato / aloo (boiled & mashed)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp fennel / saunf
- 1 pinch hing / asafoetida
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder/ jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp aamchur/ dry mango powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp pepper (crushed)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5 cashew / kaju (chopped)
- 2 tbsp raisins / kishmish
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- To begin, heat 2 tsp oil in a big kadai and sauté 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel, and a pinch of hing.
- Then, add 1 inch ginger and 1 chilli.
- Add 1/2 cup peas and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Next add ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp amchur, ½ tsp garam masala, ¼ tsp pepper and ¾ tsp salt.
- Cook over low heat until the spices turn aromatic.
- After that add 4 boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Mash and mix the spices until they are well combined.
- Add dry fruits like cashews, raisins and 2 tbsp coriander.
- The samosa stuffing is now ready. Allow it to cool completely before using.
How To Wrap Samosas?
- After keeping the dough away for 25 minutes, knead the dough slightly again.
- Pinch a ball sized dough and grease with oil.
- Make an oval shape out of the dough.
- Using a knife, split it horizontally into two equal halves.
- Then, grease with water and make a cone. Gently press together to ensure a proper seal.
- Stuff 2 tablespoons of samosa masala stuffing into the cone.
- Grease a small amount of water on the edges.
- Pull back and create a pleat. This is important because you're forming the backbone that will help the samosa stand.
- Now press tightly to close and seal the samosa.
- To begin, heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas over low heat.
- Cook the samosas over a low flame for at least 15 minutes, keep stirring.
- Drain the aloo samosas on kitchen paper once they've turned golden and crisp.
- Finally, serve the aloo samosa with tamarind chutney and green chutney.
Things To Remember:
- Fry on low heat if you want the samosa crust to be flaky.
- If you over knead the dough, your samosas will be tough rather than crispy.
- For a richer flavour, use ghee instead of oil when kneading the dough.
- Dimples or cracks in the dough are to be expected. It need not be smooth.
- If the stuffing isn't well roasted, the samosas will get soggy.
- If you don't properly seal the samosa after applying water, it will split while frying.
I hope these tips and instructions will help you make the most delicious samosas at home. For more such stories, stay tuned to HerZindagi!
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org