Dhokla is one of the most loved snacks. Soft and juicy, sweet and savoury dhokla is a traditional Gujarati dish. It is prepared using gram flour or besan and spices. If you love this Gujarati snack then you can prepare it at home too. They can be relished anytime of the day as is or with a cup of hot tea. Here is a step by step guide to make dhokla at home.
How To Make Dhokla Batter?
Ingredients Required -
- 1/2 Cup Gram Flour Or Besan
- 2 Tsp Fruit Salt
- Pinch Of Turmeric Powder
- Pinch Of Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1 Tbsp Sugar Or As Per Taste
- 1 Tsp Salt Or As Per Taste
- In a bowl, add gram flour, turmeric powder, asafoetida, lemon juice, ginger paste, and chilli paste.
- Add salt and sugar as per taste.
- Add oil and water to make a thick, flowing batter.
- The amount of water can be adjusted as per the consistency of the batter.
- If the batter is just too thin, add some gram flour to it to get the right consistency.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Next, add fruit salt to the mix and stir quickly
- Grease a pan, steam pan if you are cooking in a dhokla cooker, or a microwave-safe container if you are using a microwave.
- Pour the batter into the container.
- Place the steamer on the stove with some water.
- Keep the pan in the steamer and cover it with a lid.
- If using a microwave, set the temperature to full for 5 - 10 minutes.
- In the steamer or cooker, it won't take more than 15 to 20 minutes for the dhokla to cook.
- Take out the dhokla container and insert a toothpick in it. If it comes out clean, dhokla is cooked well.
- Once a little cool, invert the container to a plate or tray.
- Using a knife, cut dhokla into squares. Keep aside.
How To Make Dhokla Tempering?
Ingredients Required -
- 2 Tbsp Oil (Any Oil Of Choice)
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- Handful Of Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Chopped Green Chilli
- 2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/3rd Cup Water
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- In a pan, add oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add curry leaves, cumin seeds, and green chilli.
- Next, add white sesame seeds to the pan and stir.
- Add water and turn off the flame.
- Add sugar and switch on the flame again. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once the sugar dissolves, immediately pour it over the dhokla.
Tips And Tricks To Make Restaurant Like Dhokla
- Add 1 tbsp of rava or semolina to the dhokla batter. This is optional but adds a great texture to the dhokla.
- Make sure the dhokla batter has no lumps.
- The fruit salt you add to the batter should be mixed evenly. If not mixed well, the texture of dhokla would be uneven.
- When fruit salt is added to the batter, it becomes frothy. This is why one needs to whisk it quickly.
- If you wish to serve the dhokla later, sprinkle some water over it and microwave it. This will make it fluffy and soft again.
Mistakes To Avoid While Making Dhokla
- Make sure you don't put the fruit salt in less quantity or excess as it can spoil the batter.
- To prevent your dhokla from turning orange or red, add less amount of turmeric powder to it. A pinch of turmeric powder would be enough.
- Not greasing the pan enough can make the dhokla stick to it.
- Do not add too much water to the batter. In this case, your dhokla wouldn't turn out to be spongy.
- After whisking your batter, let it rest for some time and then push for steaming. Not doing so will make the dhokla hard.
How To Make Dhokla Chutney?
- 1 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Tsp Gram Dal
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt As Per Taste
- In a blender, add all the ingredients and blend.
- Taste the chutney and if required add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with dhokla.
Did you like this article ?
Your skin and body like you are unique. While we have taken all measures to ensure that the information provided in this article and on our social media channels is credible and expert verified, we recommend you consult a doctor or your dermatologist before trying a home remedy, quick hack or exercise regime. For any feedback or complaint, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org