Be honest, can there be anything more comforting than having delicious, homemade food after a long day at work? Think of dal, sabzi, roti, parathas, raita and fresh salad. While there are days we keeping running from home food to junk items like pizzas and pastas, we all eventually come back to our desi homemade food.
Dal is commonly prepared in our households for lunch or dinner and served with roti or parathas. If you have been craving for some delicious dal for long but want it to add that dhaba style flavour to it, this recipe is for you.
The dal you get at the dhaba is usually a mix of arhar and moong dal and has a spicy and smoky flavour.
How To Make Dal Tadka?
- Wash arhar or tool dal and moong dal with normal water 3-4 times.
- Pressure cook the dal with 3 cups of water for 5-6 whistles.
- Meanwhile, cut onion, tomato into small pieces.
- In a pan, add some ghee, cumin seeds, asafoetida, slit green chillies and red chilli powder.
- Next add salt, turmeric, ginger garlic paste.
- Let the seeds splutter and then pour the hot dal over it.
- Stir well.
- Garnish dal with some ghee and coriander leaves.
- Enjoy with rice or roti.
Dal Tadka Recipe Card
Treat yourself with homemade, flavourful dal on days you crave for a comforting meal.
- Total Time :
- 30 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 20 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Main Course
- Tanya Malik
- 1 Cup Toor Or Arhar Dal
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- Ghee As Required
- Salt As Required
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
- Coriander Leaves Chopped
- Pinch Of Asafoetida
- Step 1
- Wash dal with normal water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
- Step 2
- In a pan, add some ghee, cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste.
- Step 3
- Next add the spices - salt, asafoetida turmeric, red chilli powder.
- Step 4
- Add slit green chillies and mix well.
- Step 5
- Once cooked, add the boiled dal to the pan and stir well.
- Step 6
- Take off flame and garnish with coriander leaves and ghee.
- Step 7
- Enjoy with parathas, roti or rice.