A comforting dish for sure, Batatyachya Kachrya is Marathi aloo sabji that goes perfectly well with hot rotis or rise. It is an easy, quick and popular Maharashtrian recipe where potatoes are stir-fried till crisp. If you cannot decide what you should make for lunch, then this dish can be your go-to.
Batatachya Kachrya – Aloo Sabzi Recipe Card
Contributed by The Lawyer Who Bakes, this is a traditional Marathi dish that can be cooked easily at home and enjoyed with hot rotis or dal and rice.
- Total Time :
- 45 min
- Preparation Time :
- 10 min
- Cooking Time :
- 35 min
- Servings :
- Cooking Level :
- Main Course
- Kishori Sud
- 4 big potatoes cut into thin slices
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1.5 tsp mustrad seeds
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 2 slit and chopped into half green chillies
- 1.5 tsp haldi
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander for garnishing
- Step 1
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut the potatoes in half vertically. Then chop into thin slices.
- Step 2
- In a pan or thick bottomed kadhai, heat the oil (the more the better as it will result in a nice crispy aloo sabzi). Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Step 3
- Once the seeds splutter, add the green chilies and fry a little. Then add a handful of the chopped aloo and add the haldi and hing.
- Step 4
- Finally, add all the rest of the aloo and mix well so that the haldi coats all the pieces.
- Step 5
- Next add the red chilly powder and salt. Mix again and sprinkle with a little water. Cover with a lid.
- Step 6
- After about 10 minutes, cut into three thickest piece just to check if it's cooked.
- Step 7
- If it cuts easily, switch off the flame and put into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
- Step 8
- Enjoy with roti or rice and dal or just as it is.